Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Kings Lynn At Edgar Street On Saturday 21 September at 3.00pm

Monday, May 13, 2019

I Couldn't Have Wished For A Better Day Said Purdie


Rob Purdie spoke to the local press yesterday afternoon at the end of what turned out to be an excellent testimonial to the much loved player.

"When I started it I thought if I could get to a thousand people then it would give a decent enough atmosphere for the players to enjoy the game which would make the fans enjoy it a little bit more," said Purdie.

"I think it was a couple over 1500 so I couldn't have wished for a better day with the weather as well.

"I enjoyed it meeting the lads who turned up, I got let down by a few on Friday, some for good reasons, some unfortunately disappointing reasons but I managed to get a good enough squad together.

"Obviously in a league game they probably would have scored a few more against us but I thought we gave a good account of ourselves against the young boys.

"Hereford FC boys were talking about Ben Smith, great footballer, great player to play with, so clever.

"It was really good to get one last game with them all.

"Graham (Turner) was so happy when he walked through the door and that was my first big smile of the day because I had been pretty stressed this morning.

"Graham came in, shook my hand, gave me a hug, it was great to see him.

"Pete Beadle was the only manager I had at Hereford FC and we had great success. It was down to his recruitment and the fact that he would not allow us to lose a game of football.

"I was really happy that he came. I wasn't sure he was going to come until I saw his tweet on Saturday and that was when I knew that he was definitely coming.

"Really good to see him and the fans got to say thank you and so did the Hereford FC boys."

Purdie said he had no plans to play again.

"I think a couple of cameos and a couple of charity matches or something will probably do me. I'll be happy with that."

Purdie was reminded he was just 19 when he first played for Hereford.

"19 and fresh from the youth team in Leicester.

"You never know where your career is going to lead you.

"When I left Hereford the first time I always felt like I would like to come back at some point.

"I did. I left again and thought I wouldn't mind going back there again and I did.

"And then when it went bust I was always hoping I could get back and I did.

"There is something about the city and you ask any of the other boys, Pablo Haysham wants to stay out here for as long as he can, Aaron Birch, they understand what it's like to play for Hereford all the way down to Matt Clarke jumping at the chance at his age to come down and just play ten minutes

"I'm glad I had my career at Hereford.

"I didn't want to leave the club last summer. I was hoping that I would get a coaching role just to keep that footprint of what Hereford is about within the squad.

"It didn't come, they've gone for a new direction, I'm hoping that Rico can turn it around a little bit next season, get some of the fans back on board, they are a little bit on the fence, the hopefully the club can start pushing forward again.

"With or without me as long as the club is pushing forward I don't really mind."

At the end of the interview Rob was thanked for a marvellous day and a wonderful career with Hereford.

"Thank you very much, cheers."