Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Planning A Testimonial Is Daunting Says Purdie

Rob Purdie At The Conference Play Off Final In 2006
A testimonial match for Rob Purdie, the former Hereford United and Hereford FC player, is being held at Edgar Street on May 12th. In this article Rob reveals how his testimonial came about and his amazement that so many former players are so keen to take part.

'I knew around December 2017 that it was going to be my last season as I had been accepted into the fire service. In the new year I spoke to some of the boys about it, Jimmy, Greeny, Symmo and talk started of "surely you'll get  testimonial". I made a joke about it to Martin Watson and it snow balled from there. I think it was the Kettering game when chairman Ken Kinnersley gave it the green light. I tried to get it done for July in pre season 2018 but it was too close so I had to look for another date.

Planning a testimonial is a daunting thing. Most teams will play a higher opposition but I didn't want that. I didn't see the point in HFC playing an U23 side that would be too good for us, so I thought what do I want.

I decided on a legends game, one which can be competitive and achieve 3 things:
1: I get to see the mates I had the best parts of my career with
2: Give some of those players their final game at Edgar Street, because you never know when it is your last game and sometimes you don't get the "goodbye" I got.
3: Let the fans see their favourite players. Do they want to see players they have never heard of or do they want to see John Mills and Guy Ipoua one last time??

I was worried about what players I could get. I wrote up a list of around 40 names for each side and then started messaging players, some who I haven't spoken to for 10ye ars. I was humbled and amazed that everyone wanted to come back and play. Wayne Brown, Paul Parry, Ben Smith, Steve Guinan without a hestitiaion said they'd love to play, 18 players for each team within 48hrs. I want fans to know that yes we had great times together but they aren't just coming back because it's my testimonial. They are coming back because they want to play at Edgar Street again infront of these fans, Hereford has always got a hold of players hearts and that's down to the town and its fans. The hardest part had become the easiest.

The initial plan was 45mins HFC V HUFC then a bit of a mix up free for all. But when I got the HUFC squad together I thought, they could win the game. So it changed to a 90 minute competitive match, fans can decide who to cheer for and who they think will win. My money is on Hereford United!!!'