Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Monday, November 05, 2018

Hereford Are Still Short Of A Real Goal Threat Said Purdie


Rob Purdie feels that Hereford lack two or three players that would give them the threat they need in front of goal after he watched Saturday's 1-1 draw with Altrincham.

It's the third draw in as many games for Marc Richards' side, all of which were tough game on paper. Stockport County is always seen as a difficult place to go, Telford are unbeaten at home and Altrincham went into Saturday's game on the back of four wins from their last five games.

But the retired Hereford player says come Christmas there won't be many players left that he played with last season.

"I think overall it was probably a fair result, the game in general lacked a little quality especially in the final third," said Purdie.

"I think if Hereford had won Altrincham would've felt hard done by, so I think a draw was probably the right result.

"I made sure I saw all the lads that were here last season, it's great to see them. It's always nice, they like to see me. I was a bit of a joker so I made a few comments to some of them about Lance's hair.

"It's good to come back and see them, because come Christmas there won't be many left that I played with."

Purdie was in the commentary position for BBC Hereford and Worcester, sat alongside Keith Hall. It's not the first match he's been to this season and says the recent additions are good players, but it's hard to get behind them as he doesn't know them.

"It's really strange watching the game, you want Hereford to win but it's hard to root for the players because you just don't know them yet," he added.

"If a few more of the lads were playing then I could look to watch them more than anyone else, but it was just Billy (Murphy) and Jordan (Cullinane-Liburd).

"It's nice to come back, I try and get back as much as I can and hopefully this point, and the point midweek, will just start to turn their fortunes a little bit.

"I think they've got some good players, but they just haven't got the attacking threat yet. I thought the back five were really solid, the midfield worked their socks off and Roberts worked as hard as he could, he got his goal which he deserved.

"But they're just two or three players off getting that real goal threat, and if they'd had that then they could've comfortably won.

"The same with Altrincham, I think they evened each other out."