Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Captain Harvey Smith On Stockport Draw



Bristol City loanee Harvey Smith was made captain for this afternoon's 1-1 draw at Stockport County, but apparently only found out just before today's game.

He's a leader according to Head Coach Mark Richards, and stepped up to the role as Jordan Cullinane-Liburd was dropped to the bench.

He also scored the goal for Hereford, initially incorrectly reported as scored by Calvin Dinsley.

After the game Smith spoke to the press.

"It was a tough place to come, Stockport away.

"I think they had more than 3,000 here.

"They had long spells of possession, we had to defend, we had to dig in but, to be fair, the lads stuck at it and we're pleased with a point."

Smith captained the side, which is unusual given he is a loan player.

"It was a proud moment for me and I'm pleased that the gaffer has trusted me for that.

"At the back you always need to be communicating, lots of talking, making sure we are covered in all areas, we're not leaving ourselves exposed.

"We were under some pressure at times and maybe had to go a little old-school maybe towards the end a little bit just to clear our lines.

"Mark Richards wants us to get the ball down and play when we can.

"We would like to control games a little bit more but you come to a place like this and it's difficult to dominate them for possession."

Smith described his goal.

"Eliot has crossed the ball in from a wide free kick and I started my run from a bit further out and I saw their big captain just in front of goal and I thought I'll just get in front of him and see what happens.

"I think Dins got the first nick and then I got a bigger head on target. From there it hit the net. I'm not sure if it took another deflection off their defender.



"I got the last touch!

"I turned round and said Dins you do realise I scored that. I got the last touch. He said fair enough.

"It's not who got the goal really, we're pleased with the point."