Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Posh Bird Takes To The Skies To Keep The Bulls Flying



Keep The Bulls Flying - that's the message from two Hereford supporters who jumped out of a plane earlier today to raise vital funds for the Hereford United Supporters Trust. 

Hereford United Supporters Trust (HUST) Director Joanie Roberts, also known as Posh Bird, and Laura Davies from United in the Community (UITC) took part in a sponsored skydive to raise funds for the recently launched 'Keep The Bulls Flying' initiative, launched at today's Family Fun Day at Shobdon Aerodrome.

The campaign will help HUST achieve a 50 percent shareholding (289,000 shares) in the club by 2020 and more events are set to follow in the name of the 'Posh Bird challenge', using the same GoFundMe page.

After the skydive, Joanie Roberts said: "We're doing it for HUST to by shares in HFC, the last time I looked at my phone we'd got £550." 

"That can rise, so probably more people will do that as we say we've done it. Obviously today [the fun day] has added to it so it's an ongoing thing. Anyone can donate at anytime into it, so it's just another way of getting additional funds on top of what HUST do already to buy those shares and reach that £289,000 by 2020.

"I think what I'll do now leading on this is set up a 'Posh Bird challenge'. Going forward we can say 'the next Posh Bird challenge is this, come and join us' and we can put the GoFundMe out there again and their friends can donate and more people can engage and we can have more times like this where we can experience things we haven't done before."

HUST's aims are to actively engage with members, supporters and the wider community as well as working with the club to ensure long term viable and sustainable financial performance, encouraging home grown talent via The Hereford FC Academy and to assist in developing facilities at Edgar Street into a first class community stadium.

Joanie said she wouldn't hesitate to do it again despite the fear she felt in the moments before being pushed out of the plane.

"I really want to do that again, it was just brilliant," Roberts added.

"It's got to be up there with one of the best things that I've ever done. I can't explain the fear, an hour ago I didn't have any emotion but the fear when that plane door opened and you've got wall-to-wall cloud, I can't tell you the fear.

"I thought I'm either going to cry, going to scream or I'm going to say I can't do this. But before you even have chance to do that, the guy behind you has pushed you out and you've gone anyway.

"You don't even know when you're going, you've just gone. The sheer noise as you go out is huge. Until you come out of the cloud, the minute we could see ground below us it was just silence and you were just floating, and you had no sense of speed no nothing, it was just awesome, absolutely awesome."

Laura Davies from UITC also took part in the sponsored skydive said controlling the parachute was a great experience, after she'd opened her eyes.

UITC's Football Development Officer said: "Once Joanie had gone I didn't have a choice! I closed my eyes until the parachute came out and I got a pull back up, but I loved it, really good.

"I'm glad I did it because it was initally a yes thinking I'll do it but probably nothing will come of it, but waiting around today hasn't been the easiest. Once we were in the plane and Joanie had gone I'd got to it now! The views up there are amazing, as soon as you go through the clouds, like Joanie said, it's just dead quiet.

"Dave let me control the parachute, turn it left and right, and that was a great experience. I'd definitely do it again and I'd recommend it to anyone."

Anyone wishing to donate can do so via the GoFundMe page - https://uk.gofundme.com/keep-the-bulls-flying.