Next Game: Nuneaton At Edgar Street In The League On Saturday January 19th at 3pm.

Monday, April 02, 2018

Southern Premier League Review

A look back at today in the Southern Premier League written by Steve Whitney.

A surprising number of matches managed to survive the wet on Bank Holiday Monday in the Evo-Stik League South Premier.
Leaders Hereford FC`s game on the artificial surface at Redditch United`s Trico Stadium was always going to be on and the Bulls won 2-0 to stretch their advantage at the top to four points as King`s Lynn Town`s big home game against fourth-placed Kettering Town was one of five that didn`t go ahead.
In front of a crowd of 1,651, Jimmy Oates gave Hereford a 21st minute lead that Lance Smith doubled just past the hour-mark with a diving header.
The Bulls finished with ten-men though when Ryan Green was sent-off in the final minute after a two-footed tackle on Tyler Weir.

Weymouth moved to within three points of Lynn after a 5-0 hammering of bottom-markers Gosport Borough at the Bob Lucas Stadium.
A crowd of 1,007 saw Harry Baker give the Terras a good start with a goal inside 2 minutes.
Brandon Goodship then took over, completing a hat-trick with goals in the 25th, 44th and 73rd minutes.
And Boro`s day was complete when Ed Sanders beat his own keeper to make it a nap hand for the home side 2 minutes from time.
Slough Town in fifth ensured the gap between them and sixth-placed Royston Town, who also won, remains a healthy ten points after winning 2-1 at Arbour Park against neighbours Chesham United, who are probably out of the running now.
A crowd of 784 saw Oran Swales give the visiting Generals a 10th minute lead that James Dobson cancelled out 12 minutes later.
The winner came from Warren Harris with less than 4 minutes remaining.
Royston, whose defeat at Hereford on Saturday set them back, have an awful lot to do now and need Slough to slip up really if they are to overtake them, despite recording a 4-2 Garden Walk win over Bishop`s Stortford.
The teams were three divisions apart last year but, after Mark Hughes had given the visiting Blues a 20th minute lead, the Crows turned it round in the second half with goals from Joe Hankins on the hour-mark, Scott Bridges from the penalty spot 10 minutes later, Josh Castiglione 5 minutes after that and Martel Powell in the 80th minute, veteran Jamie Cureton adding a second for Stortford 4 minutes later.
Elsewhere, Frome Town came back from a goal down to win by the odd goal in seven at Penydarren Park against Merthyr Town, whose Owain Jones scored in the 11th minute.
Joe Raynes equalised 3 minutes later and then Josh Brace put the Somerset side in front 10 minutes after that.
Ryan Prosser took the sides into the break all-square with the leveller on the half-hour mark and 10 minutes into the second period, Jarrad Wright made it 3-2 to the hosts.
But on 77 minutes, Marcus Mapstone equalised and Jon Davies won it for Frome 6 minutes from time.
Hitchin Town won the derby at Kings Langley, thanks to goals from Toby Syme after 49 minutes and then Patrick Tshikala a minute into stoppage time – Mitchell Weiss` reply coming a minute later.
And Basingstoke Town won the derby at the Camrose against Farnborough in another seven-goal bonanza.
Callum Bunting`s 7th minute effort gave `Stoke the lead, only for Luke King to equalise 11 minutes later and then put Boro ahead 6 minutes later.
Bunting`s second pulled the home side back on terms 2 minutes later and Sam Smart made it 3-2 to Basingstoke at the break when he scored 3 minutes later.
Connor Calcutt levelled matters 5 minutes into the second half, only for Terry Brown`s side to win it on the hour-mark through Sam Deadfield.