Next Game: Nuneaton At Edgar Street In The League On Saturday January 19th at 3pm.

Saturday, April 07, 2018

Southern Prem Weekend Review

This review of the games in the Southern Premier League is written by Steve Whitney.

Hereford FC took a massive step towards the Evo-Stik League South Premier title on Saturday after they beat Chesham United 3-0 at Edgar Street.
And in doing so, the Bulls won the race to 100 league goals, with fourth-placed Kettering Town winning 2-1 to go to 99.
In front of another terrific crowd of 2,704, the Bulls got off to a great start when Keyon Reffell after 8 minutes and Lance Smith after 12 minutes gave them a cushion.
And Jennison Myrie-Williams scored the Bulls’ 100th league goal to make it 3-0 in the 67th minute.
Second-placed King`s Lynn Town, in contrast, were unable to find one goal at The Walks in front of 721 against Merthyr Town.
That means the gap at the top is now six points, with Hereford possessing a game in hand on Lynn and third-placed Weymouth, who are two points further back after winning 2-1 at Redditch United.
Ben Thomson put the Terras in front after 7 minutes, only for Tristan Dunkley to level within 4 minutes.
Brandon Goodship restored the visitors` lead after 25 minutes, and that`s how the scoreline remained.
Kettering also won 2-1, but it was a disappointing game at Creasey Park against second-bottom Dunstable Town.
Matty Stevens broke the deadlock to give the Poppies the lead right on half-time.
Arel Amu equalised from the penalty spot 7 minutes into the second half, but the visitors saved face with a second for Stevens in the 71st minute.
Slough Town hold the final play-off berth after winning 1-0 at Stratford Town.
Perry Coles` 35th minute effort proved enough for the Rebels, who hold a thirteen-point advantage over sixth and seventh-placed Royston Town and Tiverton Town respectively.
The Crows maintained their mathematical chance of a top five spot with a 1-0 Garden Walk win over mid-table Basingstoke Town, thanks to an Adam Murray goal 3 minutes into the second half.
As did Tivvy, who edged a 3-2 win at the Rushmore Community Stadium against Farnborough.
Jordan Rogers gave the Yellows a 15th minute lead that Connor Calcutt cancelled out 5 minutes before half-time.
Nine minutes after the break, Tom Bath restored Tiverton`s lead and he scored again to make it 3-1 with 63 minutes gone on the clock.
Andrew Harris-Sealy pulled one back for Boro 12 minutes from time, but Tivvy held firm.
The fight to stay in the division took a turn towards bottom-markers Gosport Borough after Dunstable`s defeat as they shared a 0-0 Privett Park draw with a safe, but third-bottom St Ives Town outfit.
The gap between the two is just two points with both having five games left.
Elsewhere, a Tom Blair goal right on half-time eventually proved enough for Dorchester Town at the Avenue Stadium against Bishop`s Stortford, while Hitchin Town hammered managerless Frome Town 5-1 at Top Field.
Only a Trey Charles goal after 36 minutes separated the sides at the break.
But a Connor Roberts own goal immediately after the restart doubled their advantage and then Charles again on 51 minutes, Connor Vincent 7 minutes later and Hugo Logan 15 minutes from time sealed the Canaries comfortable win, with Josh Brace netting a stoppage time reply.
There were seven goals in the game between Kings Langley and St Neots Town which the Hertfordshire hosts edged.
Mitchell Weiss bagged a brace for Kings, as did Luke Knight for the Saints, with a Taylor Parr own goal and a Jorell Johnson effort making it 4-1 at half-time for the hosts – Nabil Sharrif netting the visitors` third late on.
Banbury United and Biggleswade Town shared a 1-1 Spencer Stadium draw in which Luke Carnell`s 64th minute opener for the Puritans was eventually cancelled out by the Waders` Rob Parker 6 minutes from time.