Next Game: Nuneaton At Edgar Street In The League On Saturday January 19th at 3pm.

Monday, April 02, 2018

Match Report: Redditch 0 Hereford 2

Lance Smith And Rob Purdie Congratulate Jimmy Oates After The Captain Scored Hereford's First Goal
A goal in each half saw Hereford overcome mid-table Redditch United 2-0 at the Trico Stadium, extending their lead at the top of the Southern Premier. This was a comfortable performance by the Bulls, assured without being dominant. But more importantly, it gives Hereford a wider cushion over their rivals as they look to seal the title.

Pete Beadle made one change for the match on the 3G surface - John Mills dropping to the bench - and the players wore astros instead of boots. The Reds boss Tim Harris named ex-Bulls Stuart Fleetwood, Tyler Weir, Ashley Sammons and Adam Page in his starting eleven.

Hereford started the first half playing downhill, away from the travelling fans. They dominated the opening period, looking comfortable. Jennison Myrie-Williams - recalled to the starting line-up - was lively on the left flank, feeding Pablo Haysham early on, and then Rob Purdie shot narrowly wide.

Jimmy Oates broke the deadlock on 21 minutes. He met a deep cross from Keyon Reffell with a diving header, beating goalkeeper Ethan Ross to put Hereford ahead.

The Bulls had further chances as the half progressed. Myrie-Williams’ shot from just outside the box went inches wide, and a Reffell header bounced back off the crossbar. Elliot Richards also had a low drive from the edge of the box parried away by the Redditch ‘keeper.

Keyon Reffell Heads Towards Goal
At the other end, Will Puddy had little to do in the Hereford goal, as Ryan Green kept quiet a Redditch frontline led by Fleetwood.

The second half started with some early Redditch rallies, including a Tyler Weir effort caught by Puddy. But Hereford built on their advantage. Richards drilled a long-range effort over, before the Bulls doubled their tally. A Purdie cross found Lance Smith at the back post, and the striker’s header beat the goalkeeper to make it two after 61 minutes.

Hereford could’ve added more goals as the half progressed. Smith controlled well but advancing goalkeeper Ross blocked his shot. Then Myrie-Williams had a good effort thwarted by the Reds backline, while Smith headed over at the far post in the dying stages. Redditch were restricted to long-range efforts with substitute Jordan Mills firing over Puddy’s goal and Weir’s low drive collected easily by Hereford’s stopper.

With the game settled and heading into injury time with Hereford comfortably ahead, a rash challenge saw Ryan Green shown a straight red card. His two-footed challenge in the middle of the park was needless, and he’ll be banned as a result.

But - sending off aside - this was a straightforward, professional performance from the Bulls who go four points clear with a game in hand at the top of the table. A loud away following cheered the Bulls on to victory in a crowd of 1,651.

Redditch: Ross, Wright (Dunkley, 65), Weir, Fox, Lezewele, Mutton (c), Jackman, Sammons (Mills, 65), Fleetwood, Gibson, Page (Davie, 72). Unused subs: Fishwick, Stares.

Hereford: Puddy, Oates (c), Pring, Richards, Green, Liburd, Reffell, Purdie, Smith, Haysham (O’Shea, 76), Myrie-Williams (Symons, 76). Unused subs: Mills, McGrath, Horsell.

Report written for BN by Terry Goodwin