Next Game: Darlington Away on Saturday 17th November at 3pm

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Wellington 1 – Hereford 1

Hereford travelled the short distance up the A49 on Saturday afternoon to play step 6 side Wellington in a preseason friendly. Manager Pete Beadle named a strong starting XI which included new signings Garyn Preen, James Bowen and keeper Oliver Davies.

The Bulls, playing in their new yellow away strip, got the game underway attacking towards the clubhouse in the first half. Keyon Reffell showed off some fancy footwork within the opening two minutes, dancing his way into the box to set up Mike Symons, but his shot was blocked.

Eight minutes later, Symons once again came close to grabbing the opening goal. Some good build up between Calvin Dinsley and Reffell saw Symons break into the box, but his low right-footed shot was denied by the upright.

An error from Bulls stopper Oliver Davies gifted the hosts the lead with 13 minutes on the clock. Josh Hunt was on hand to capitalise on a scuffed clearance to slot the ball home.

Midway through the first half, a snapshot from Calvin Dinsley was well-saved by the keeper. Mike Symons controlled Garyn Preen’s cross from the left, before setting up Dinsley. But Wellington’s stopper Matt Appleby was well-positioned to smother the effort and keep the one-goal lead intact. 

Hereford continued to dominate the game, but lacked the cutting edge in the final third. Some good build-up play by the Bulls came to nothing more than a goal kick after Preen fired an effort well over the bar. 

As the first half drew to a close, Pablo Haysham fired a free kick from 25-yards well over the crossbar, before a chance for Reffell was also wayward.

HT: Wellington 1 – Hereford 0

The second half continued in a similar manner to the first, with Hereford having plenty of position but lacking the final touch. 

After replacing Garyn Preen at half time, Jamie Molyneux’s low drive from outside the area went wide at the near post.

Just shy of the hour mark, Oliver Davies conceded a free kick after deliberately handling the ball. Davies fumbled a shot and smothered the ball outside of the area ahead of the onrushing striker. The subsequent free kick sailed over the crossbar to let the ex-Merthyr keeper off the hook.

As Hereford made a flurry of changes, substitutes John Mills and Mike McGrath linked up well, but Macca's thumping header was somehow cleared off the line.

The long awaited equaliser came in the 72nd minute courtesy of Pablo Haysham. Left-back James Bowen crossed the ball into the box for Haysham to head home.

Moments later, Rob Purdie should've done better after bursting through Wellington’s defence, but his shot from the left of the box whistled wide at the near post.

The last chance of the game also fell to Purdie, but he couldn’t find the back of the net to grab a late winner. After John Mills had done all the hard work in the run up, Purdie couldn’t quite connect with the ball after being teed up by Mills.

FT: Wellington 1 – Hereford 1

Hereford: Davies, Oates, Bowen, Edge, Green, M. Preece, Preen, Dinsley, Reffell, Haysham, Symons.

Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Bishops Cleeve Away on Tuesday 18th July at 7.45pm