Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Just What We Needed Said Beadle



This afternoon's friendly at Telford was 'just what we needed' said Hereford FC manager Peter Beadle in his post match interview.

The game ended goal-less and Hereford's defence had to work hard to stop Telford from scoring.

"A fantastic friendly," said Beadle.

"I spoke to Rob (Telford manager) just coming off there and he said it was exactly what they needed as well.

"We really felt the benefit of that. A lot of the lads had ninety minutes.

"In spells I thought we played really well so it's been win win again today.

"I thought for the first twenty minutes we were good, we started really well, a couple of half chances, got the penalty. I thought we were in the asendancy.

"And then they had their spell, fifteen, twenty minutes towards the end of the half when we were pegged back a little bit.

"They never caused us what I would call a real major problem but it was tough because we had to defend a lot.

"It's not normal for us to be without possession for that amount of time so it was brilliant for us to ensure we had our shape right and the position of one or two people so a really good workout.

"Second half I thought it was a bit more even throughout the game. We had a decent spell, then they had a decent one.

"So I was really pleased with what we've done.

"We said before the game what would be nice was to have a clean sheet and I thought we deserved a clean sheet. It was a real team performance today."

Keeper Martin Horsell had plenty to do but was up to everything sent his way. However he took a knock in the first half when he was clattered by a Telford player.

"I suppose this is the difficulty in pre-season friendlies referees knowing how hard to come down.

"I thought the tackle on Pablo was a yellow card, I thought the tackle on Preece to push him over Horsell was a yellow card and then he books Jimmy for a yellow which looked not too much different to the one on Pablo.

"But it's their pre-season too but I think sometimes you need to stamp it out because players think that being a pre-season game they are not going to be sent off so they'll just do a reckless one and get away with it.

"It's a nasty knock on his knee but he is now going away on holiday so he will get a chance to rest it in the sun!

"Oliver Davies has had an offer to do a week at Yeovil. I spoke to him on Thursday and they wanted him there to the end of the week. I presumed they were speaking to him on Friday.

"I spoke to him yesterday to ask him if he was with us but Yeovil wanted him to play in their game at Frome this afternoon, I think they were going to make a decision then.

"But he also said that Newport had made him an offer so either way he was going to take one or the other. So Ollie has moved on which is a shame and I'm disappointed as we worked hard to get him here, spent a lot of time doing the deal to get him here and we were looking forward to seeing him work.

"I understand why he's done it as he wants full-time football and that's what he's done.

"But it leaves us a bit short on Wednesday. We'll have Max but Max is going to Aston Villa on Monday for a week which is fantastic for us, Rory has gone to Shrewsbury, Ollie has now gone to Newport or Yeovil.

"Villa rang us about having a look at him for a week's training but he is going to be available on Wednesday but being a friendly as well I wouldn't take the risk of playing him if I can get cover.

"So we are going to work hard this weekend to try and get cover, If not I might put myself in there. No I won't I wouldn't do that to anybody given the sight of me in a goalie kit.

"It's just one of those things but part and parcle of pre-season.

"We've played well again today without Green, Dinsley and Symons. All in all a decent day."