Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Monday, April 17, 2017

Hereford complete away season unbeaten

Hereford FC continued their impressive unbeaten league away record, having last lost at Highgate in August 2015, by winning 2-0 at Evesham and setting up a 'Champions' match at Edgar Street against Royston. In a fairly dour game, late goals in both halves from Pablo Haysham and John Mills sealed the three points, whilst Evesham missed an injury time penalty when Martyn Horsell pushed away Adam Mann's effort.

There was one change for Hereford following the weekend's disappointing draw with Barnstaple; Jimmy Oates returned as Jamie Molyneux made way, allowing Rob Purdie to push forward to a right-wing role.

Midway through the first-half, neat interplay between Purdie and Mike Symons saw the former sent the latter through but the former Gloucester player's right-foot shot from a tight angle hit the side netting. 

Mike McGrath curled a 35 yard free-kick into the arms of Kevin Sawyer before Evesham created a rare chance. Mann combined with his strike partner before sending a left-foot effort off target from a good position. 

Hereford took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Haysham netted. Purdie was softly brought down by the home side's left-back and won a free-kick on the edge of the box. McGrath whipped it low and Haysham flicked it in past the 'keeper at the near post to give Peter Beadle's men a one goal advantage.

The second-half offered little entertainment, much like the first, with a handful of rare chances. Haysham skied a 25 yard free-kick, before he was booked for diving after going down lightly under a challenge just inside the box. 

Bradley Williams replaced Jamie Edge before Hereford should have doubled the lead with a few minutes remaining. A long boot forward by Mills was battled for by Symons, who used his strength to fend off two defenders before finding himself through on goal but a right-foot strike was pushed away by the 'keeper.

However, it was only two minutes later that Hereford wrapped up proceedings. Mills fed Haysham on the left, and he went past his marker before cutting the ball back into the danger area; Mills had continued his run and via a deflection, found the ball at his feet and fed it into the back of the net from six yards. 

Drama followed the second goal as Evesham immediately went down the other end and a cross from the right hit Ryan Green's arm. The Welshman had already been booked and was given his marching orders for the third time this season. Up stepped Mann but Horsell dived to his left to save and the loose ball was cleared over his own bar by Mick McGrath. 

Ollie Barnes replaced Mills for the final minute to shore up the defence up with Green's absence and soon after, the referee blew the final whistle.

Much like the last two games, there was an end of season feel to it, with little to play for. Hereford looked solid defensively but created little going forward. Notable performances were from Mark Preece and McGrath. A record crowd of 1,578 were in attendance at the The Spiers & Hartwell Jubilee Stadium as the Bulls finish the league season unbeaten away from home. Next up for Hereford is the final home league game of the season against Winchester City on Saturday.

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Green, Preece, Edwards, Purdie, Edge (Williams), McGrath, Haysham, Mills (Barnes), Symons.

Subs not used: M. Harris, Fortune, Huntbach.