Next Game: Forest Green Rovers at Home on Wednesday 25th July at 7.45pm

Sunday, January 15, 2017

South And West Weekend Review

A review of yesterday's games in the Southern League South and West written by Steve Whitney
On a day when Hereford FC finally lost their unbeaten record in the Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South & West, second-placed Tiverton Town will be kicking themselves as they too suffered a defeat!
 It was Taunton Town who ended Hereford's terrific twenty-six-match unbeaten record with a 2-1 victory in front of a crowd of 2,917 at Edgar Road.
But this was also the Peacocks` tenth successive victory and lifted them to seventh in the table, just two points off a play-off spot.
Matt Wright put the Somerset side ahead with a goal in the19th minute.
The home side fell further behind in the 22nd minute when Pierce Mitchell netted with a 20-yard effort.
Rogers nearly made it 3-0 when he forced a fine save from Hereford keeper Shane White early in the second half before John Mills pulled a goal back for the league leaders in the 53rd minute with a close-range effort.
It was all Hereford for much of the second half but Taunton managed to soak up a lot of pressure without conceding another goal.
Tiverton also lost at their own Ladysmead home against fourth-placed Swindon Supermarine and also lost second spot to Evesham United, who won 5-1 at Mangotsfield United.
Brad Hooper`s penalty had `Marine in front after 37 minutes, but Levi Landricombe levelled within 2 minutes.
Connor Waldon eventually restored the visitors` lead on 66 minutes and 11 minutes later, Callum Parsons made it 3-1.
Jamie Short pulled a second back for Tivvy 2 minutes from time, but they weren`t able to find an equaliser.
Evesham eased Mangotsfield out of the top five with their comprehensive win at Cossham Street.
Goals from Lorcan Sheehan and a Tom Warren own goal had Evesham two-up before Mangos replied on the half-hour mark.
But Lance Smith made it 3-1 just 6 minutes before the break, and then Smith again and Paul Fahy made it a nap hand in the final 8 minutes.
Mangotsfield were replaced in the top five by Salisbury FC after their 1- win at second-bottom Wantage Town, courtesy of a goal 5 minutes into stoppage time from Tommy Wright.
Bottom side Bridgwater Town lost 3-1 at Fairfax Park to Bishops Cleeve, whose Jacob Davidge bagged a brace and Aaron Drake the other – Harry Horton replying.
Third-bottom AFC Totton picked up a point from a 1-1 Testwood Park draw with fourth-bottom Barnstaple Town, whose Scott Sharp cancelled out Charlie Gunson`s 28th minute opener for the Stags with 15 minutes to go.
Barum`s Devon rivals Bideford edged out Slimbridge 1-0 at home, thanks to Billy Tucker`s 14th minute effort, while Paulton Rovers moved six point clear of the drop zone after a good 3-1 win at Shortwood United with all the goals coming in the final 17 minutes.
Reeko Best broke the deadlock to give Rovers the lead that they doubled within 3 minutes through Kallan Gould, and then Josh Ford made it 3-0 before Ross Langworthy reduced the arrears 2 minutes from time.
Winchester City won 2-1 at Larkhall Athletic with goals from Howard Neighbour after just 2 minutes and Craig Feeney on 24 minutes – Ben Brooks responding on the half-hour mark.
And Wimborne Town and Didcot Town shared the spoils in Dorset with Sam Barder`s 18th minute opener for Diddy being eventually levelled by Robinson Okumo in stoppage time at the end of the game.