Sunday, January 08, 2017

South and West Weekend Review

Here's a review of yesterday's South and West fixtures.

Mike Symons Scored For Hereford

Hereford FC took another big step towards the EVO-STIK League Southern's Division One South & West title on Saturday with a win at Paulton Rovers while second-placed Tiverton Town were held to a draw, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

In front of a crowd of 484, the Bulls were shocked when Paulton`s Jordan Ricketts gave his side an early fourth minute lead. Mike Symons equalised 11 minutes later and Clayton Fortune put the visitors in front four minutes after that.
Tristan Plummer wrapped up victory with a third 18 minutes from time to leave Hereford leading the table by a whopping fifteen points.

Tivvy were held to a 3-3 draw at the Loop Meadow by mid-table Didcot Town, a brace of penalties from Ben Whitehead putting Diddy 2-0 lead by the half-hour mark.
Tom Bath on 37 minutes and Jamie Price three minutes later pulled the Devonians back on level terms and then Bath put them in front six minutes from time, only for Sam Elkins to salvage a point for Didcot a minute into stoppage time.
Third-placed Evesham United won 1-0 at home against now bottom-markers Bridgwater Town, thanks to Adam Mann`s 33rd minute effort.
Mangotsfield United sealed a 3-0 win at Slimbridge and are fourth, four points behind Evesham, Lewis Hogg after 25 minutes and then Liam Monelle and Tom Fry in the last seven minutes the Mangos` scorers.
Swindon Supermarine knocked Salisbury FC out of the play-off places after they won 1-0 at the Webbswood Stadium against Wimborne Town, courtesy of a 44th minute Connor Waldon effort.
Steve Claridge`s side suffered a 2-1 defeat at the Ray Mac against North Leigh, despite taking an early sixth minute lead through Justin Bennett. In front of 738, a George Seacole brace in the 71st and 79th minutes sealed the Oxfordshire side`s win.

Taunton Town moved to within a couple of points of Salisbury in seventh after a 5-0 hammering of third-bottom AFC Totton at Wordsworth Drive. Ross Staley and Craig Veal both bagged braces for the Peacocks, with Matty Wright adding the other in front of a decent 427 crowd.
Wantage Town moved off the bottom after earning a point from a 1-1 draw at Yate Town, whose Kye Mountford cancelled out Todd Hathaway`s eighth minute opener on the half-hour mark.
Winchester City edged out Shortwood United by the odd goal in seven at home in which Craig Feeney helped himself to a hat-trick, with Stuart Mott scoring the other. Nick Humphreys, Ross Langworthy and Jake Lee were the United scorers in an entertaining encounter.
And it was a similar story at Barnstaple Town, who beat Larkhall Athletic by the same scoreline. James Blake bagged two for Barum along with Ryan Turner and Liam Gregory efforts, with Joe Tumelty, Jamie Lyons and Ed Dryden responding.
And there were six goals at Bishops Cleeve, who drew with Bideford, Jack Horrell, Ben Hayes and Jordan Stoddart for Cleeve, Kai Fisher, Sean Downing and Billy Tucker scoring for the Devonians.