Next Game: Forest Green Rovers at Home on Wednesday 25th July at 7.45pm

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Bulls back to winning ways

John Mills Scored Hereford's First Goal
Hereford FC bounced back from their first league defeat of the season with a comfortable 2-0 victory at a cold Yate Town. Despite a goalless first-half, John Mills and Pablo Haysham netted second-half headers to hand Peter Beadle's men the three points, in front of 886 supporters at the Jelf Stadium.

Jamie Edge missed out for Hereford with Rob Purdie reverting to a central midfield role and Pablo Haysham making his first-start since Wantage in mid-December, after his four match ban. Harvey Rivers started for the home-team against his former club.

The first-half was a bit of a non-event, with it being a scrappy encounter. Yate had half a shout for a penalty, after Mark Preece mis-controlled in the box but the referee waved away appeals. The home side followed up the appeal with a nippy run by their left-back but he lifted a shot well over the bar from 20 yards. Mills went close for the Bulls after Mike Symons held the ball up well inside the box and the former Didcot strike's close-range poke was diverted wide by Rivers at the near-post.

Mike Symons In The Box

Was He Brought Down?

Hereford had a penalty shout of their own mid-way through the first-half after a rash challenge by Matt Guy on Tristan Plummer but the referee again said no. The hosts thought they had gone in front towards the end of the half when a free-kick from the centre was floated into the box and eventually squeezed in from close-range but the linesman flagged for offside.

After a half-time rollicking, Hereford turned the intensity up and besieged the Yate goal in the second-period. Jimmy Oates and Mike McGrath both fired off-target with their left foots, before after a flurry of corners, Hereford took the lead through leading marksman Mills in the 65th minute.

A corner from the left by Haysham was flicked on by Preece and Mills was on hand at the back-post to head home from three yards out for his 32nd goal of the season. 

Four minutes later, Hereford doubled their advantage through Haysham. McGrath fed a lofted pass down the line to Purdie, who went past his marker to the byline, before steadying himself, and floating a right-foot cross to put the ball on a plate for Haysham, who powered a header past Rivers in front of the vocal Hereford faithful.

Pablo Haysham's Header Gave Hereford Their Second Goal

Further pressure followed with Haysham spinning his man before a rasping right-foot shot was superbly tipped over by Rivers. 

Tristan Plummer Tripped?
Hereford introduced Jake Sinclair and Jamie Molyneux, for Plummer and Mills, and both were soon involved. Sinclair fed Molyneux, who struck a low right-foot shot against the post; the follow-up effort by Symons somehow cleared the bar, when it had looked easier to score. Minutes later, Symons again fluffed his lines after Haysham had cut-back the ball to the former Gloucester City striker but from four yards, he could only guide it wide, despite again, looking like it was easier to score.

After the first league defeat of the season against in form Taunton Town, it was pleasing that Hereford returned to winning ways, overcoming what could have been a tricky encounter against a spirited Yate defence. The home side offered little threat going forward, but defended well in numbers and frustrated Hereford for large parts of the game. 

The Weston Super Mare/Bristol City supporter, who was his attending his second Hereford match of the season chose Haysham as his man of the match, for his direct running and creativity in front of goal.

BN Man Of The Match Pablo Haysham Runs Towards Goal
Next up for Hereford is the visit of third placed Tiverton Town at Edgar Street on Saturday 28th January.

Hereford: Harris, Oates, Green, Preece, Edwards, Plummer (Sinclair), Purdie, McGrath, Haysham, Symons, Mills (Molyneux).

Subs not used: Horsell, Fortune, Williams.

Attendance: 866

Goalscorers: Mills (65), Haysham (69).