Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Hereford 2-1 Paulton Rovers

Hereford were back in league action on Tuesday evening with the hope of bouncing back from a defeat on Saturday. Visitors were Paulton Rovers.

It was Hereford who started the stronger and within the opening few minutes John Mills found space on the right hand side and was able to pick out Pablo Haysham whose header was blocked.

The deadlock was broken on 15 minutes as Jake Sinclair found room inside the area and hit a low shot which beat the keeper to make it 1-0. 

Hereford then could have doubled the lead 5 minutes later but Rob Purdie's effort was diverted behind by Paulton goalkeeper Andrew Hannah's foot.

Hereford continue to press for a second and came close again on 25 minutes from a Joel Edwards cross that dropped to Mills in the box but his half volley went narrowly wide of the top right corner.

On the half hour mark as Hereford were clearing a Paulton attack Mike McGrath tripped a Paulton player, Elliot Gibbons, in the box and the referee awarded a penalty. Jordan Ricketts stepped up in front of the Meadow End and sent Horsell the wrong way to make it 1-1.

In the 37th minute a worry for Hereford as Sinclair went down injured and left the pitch. He was replaced by recent signing Jamie Molyneux. Molyneux made an instant impact as he got the ball and made a great run into the box but it was cleared by a Paulton player. 

As the first half drew to a close Paulton had a free-kick in a dangerous area near the corner flag but it was dealt with and cleared by Hereford. 
The half ended with the scores level at 1-1 as the Bulls failed to break through a resilient back four for the majority of the half. 

Half Time: Hereford 1-1 Paulton Rovers

Hereford started the second half strongly and within a minute Haysham effort from 30 yards was deflected wide.  Hereford continued to try break Paulton down and 5 minutes later Mike McGrath tried to lob the goalkeeper only to see it go over.  Hereford continued to push for a second as the crowd’s frustration and restlessness grew.  Not long after the hour mark it was another new player making his entrance as Dinsley replaced McGrath. 

Mike Symons had 2 chances in the space of 2 minutes to put Hereford in the lead. Somehow he fired over from yards out after being picked out by Haysham and then he missed a chance from close range.  Hereford then had a penalty appear with just over 15 minutes to go as Haysham was pushed in the back but the referee wasn’t having any of it. 

Symons had another opportunity to put Hereford in the lead with around 13 minutes left. Haysham delivered a corner into the box only for Symons shot to hit the post but Haysham's follow up show fires over. 

Hereford's next chance came with 5 minutes left on the clock but Edge volleyed wide. Hereford started to dominate possession as they pushed for the winner with a few minutes remaining on the clock. As the game entered injury time it was that man again to win it for Hereford with Symon's knocking the ball down to Mills who found space and time drive the ball home.

Full Time: Hereford 2-1 Paulton Rovers
Attendance: 2,033
Sponsors Man of the match: Pablo Haysham

Hereford: Martin Horsell, Rob Purdie (70 Jimmy Oates), Joel Edwards, Jamie Edge, Ryan Green, Chris Parry, Jake Sinclair (39 Jamie Molyneux), Mike McGrath (64 Calvin Dinsley), John Mills, Pablo Haysham and Mike Symons.  Subs not used: Jamie Willets and Alex Harris

Paulton: Andrew Hannah, Elliott Keightley, Connor O'Sullivan, Joe Chandler, Josh Ford, James Byrne, Will Hailson, Elliott Gibbons, Reeko Best, Jordan Ricketts (77 Ryan Shaw) and Kailan Gould (70 Sol Wheatley). Subs not used: Ed Baldy,  Nathan Legge and Alex Grimshaw