Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Undy 0-2 Hereford

Hereford made the trip to South East Wales on Tuesday evening for the third pre season match and made it 3 out of 3 with a 2-0 win. Peter Beadle again made changes to the starting eleven with John Mills and Mike Symonds starting up front. Alex Harris remained in goal and trialists Jamal Lawrence and Ben Deakin both started the game.

The opening of the first half started slowly with both teams adjusting to the heat. The opening quarter of the half offered little goal mouth actions with both sides attacks being thwarted. Hereford's first threat came from Deakin who cut in from the wing beating 2 defenders but his cross across the box was cut out by Undy. The visitors continued to push for a goal but were left frustated by the hosts defending. Eventually they were able to get a couple of chances to open the scoring but Deakin volleyed wide and Mills long rang effort went high and over.

Hereford finally broke the deadlock with around 10 minutes left of the half when a long range effort from Purdie clipped off a Undy player and passed the goalkeeper. 

The remainder of the half saw Hereford push for another goal but they were denied by Undy. Symons managed to turn away from an Undy player and get a shot away but it was easily saved by the goalkeeper. 

Half Time: Undy 0-1 Hereford

Beadle opted to make one change at half time with trialist Joe Phillips coming on for Jamal Lawrence. Phillips slotted into Lawrence's position and he came into the game almost straight away and in the early stages of the half it was Phillips crosses that threatened but the Undy defence were able deal with them. Phillips was then involved in Hereford's first chance of the half as Deakin cut into the box to latch onto a Symons pass before turning past the Undy defenders  and crossing to Phillips who caught the ball on the half volley and his shot went over the bar.

Hereford continued to push and it was again Phillips who came close as one of his crosses nearly caught the Undy keeper out. From the resulting corner Willets broke free but his header went high and over the goal. Hereford then doubled the lead as Purdie surged towards the edge of the box before playing a pass to Mills who then played it into Purdie's path and played it back to Mills as the goalkeeper rushed out. Mills then side footed into the back of the net.

Hereford tried to extend the lead but were unable to. Cuss came close but his shot was saved and palmed just wide of the goal then Haysham got to a cross but his flick was easily saved by the goalkeeper. Robbins broke in the box but his pass in front of goal was cut out by Undy and then finally Phillips may of had some deja vu as he found himself in a similar position as earlier in the half and again blasted his shot high and over. 

Hereford: A Harris, Oates, Edwards (c), Edge, Barker, Willets, Lawrence, Purdie, Mills, Deakin and Symons. Subs: Staley, Robbins, Tumelty, Cuss, Haysham, M Harris, Clarke, Phillips and Huntbach