Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I Thought We Coped Admirably Said Beadle


After this afternoon's at friendly at FC United which ended 1-0 to the home side, Hereford FC manager Peter Beadle spoke to BN.

"Pitch was lovely, opposition were going to be tough anyway as they are two leagues above us.

"Weather was warm and humid and the travel up here was long and hot on the bus.

"But I thought we coped admirably.

"After the first fifteen minutes we got into the game and we probably could have been or should have been three or four up by half time with the chances we had, they weren't even half chances, they were good chances.

"So more than pleased with what we've done today."

Perhaps we didn't create as much in the second half?

"No we didn't, they changed their shape a little bit and we tried to change ours to combat that on the positive side rather than going a bit defensive.

"I thought it was a good test because their players are plying their trade two leagues above where we are and we're not going to come up against opposition like that every week.

"So that's the challenge with playing teams with better players in it and some of the better players in their team perked up a little bit second half. May be they had a roasting, I don't know!

"In the first three games we've had the lion's share of possession, today was about us not having possession and working hard without the ball and I thought we came through it quite well.

"To lose 1-0 here is no shame, it's pre-season so it's a worthwhile exercise. Great opposition for us and a great environment and like I said for 80% of the play I thought we were good.

"Take out the first fifteen minutes, I thought the last half hour of the first half I thought we were excellent.

"Second half a lot of changes disrupted it and that doesn't help sometimes and it got a bit ragged towards the end.

"I don't think that was either teams fault, just the changes. We made ours all at once, they staggered theirs. Probably by the end of the game eight changes on both teams. So it was never going to be as fluent as it was first half.

"The players did exactly what we asked of them and I thought they were unlucky to lose the game today."

Jimmy Oates left the field with an injury.

"Just a tight groin. Jimmy and Joel have played a lot of minutes in the friendlies so far, it's just a tight groin so precautionally for him.

There was one new trialist.

Nathan Modeste
"Nathan Modeste has got a great background. He was at Sheffield Wednesday as a youngster and I think he played in the first team there.

"I came across him in Gloucester and he's travelled around a bit since then.

"I tried to get him at the beginning of last year but obviously he wanted to play at as high a level as he could. He was at Hendersford last year. 

"He's been on trial at North Ferriby but he didn't get offered anything there so I asked him if he would come and play.

"I think he probably tried a bit too hard today. Nothing quite fell for him and I think he's tried to impress too much but he showed his potential. He's got great pace and he's a great athlete. But it was just a game today to see how he does.

"At the moment he's living in Sheffield so it's probably a bit too far for us to cover his expenses.

"We don't know, he may move back. If he does I'd like to thing we've made a good impression on him today so we'll just see how that one unfolds."