Next Game: Forest Green Rovers at Home on Wednesday 25th July at 7.45pm

Friday, May 20, 2016

Road to Wembley: Quarter Final Await Bulls

As BN continues to count down the days until the big day at Wembley, here's a look back at the last 16 game between Hereford and Hartley Wintney.

The original game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, but with thanks to the volunteers as well as the groundsmen from nearby Aldershot, the match went ahead.

Mustapha Bundu opened the scoring in the first half before a quick fire double from Mike Symons and Bundu made it 3-0. The hosts pulled one back from the spot before Ryan Green and Wintney's Ross Cook was dismissed. Joe Tumelty came off the bench to add a fourth in stoppage time as Hereford progress into the quarter finals where they will entertain Camberley Town FC. 

The game got off to a slow start with both teams taking time to get accustomed to the strong wind blowing across the pitch. Hartley could've grabbed the opener in the 9th minute from their free kick on the left flank, but despite a series of blocked shots, they couldn't find a way through Hereford's stubborn defence.

As the half hour mark passed, Mustapha Bundu weaved his way through Hartley's defence, creating himself a perfect shooting opportunity. His sweet right-foot shot from the left hand side of the box beat the diving keeper at the near post, as the ball nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Bundu cuts in from the left and scores

The goal seemed to give Hereford some momentum, as they looked more creative going forward. A good penalty shout followed when Joel Edwards was brought down on the edge of the area, but this was quickly dismissed by the referee. Moments later Hereford could’ve had a two-goal cushion going into half time after Pablo Haysham blazed his effort well over from 20-yards.

The visitors got the second half off to the best possible start, doubling their lead after 4 minutes. John Mills found Mustapha Bundu on the left wing, and as he whipped in a cross to Mike Symons, he had time to pick his spot, stabbing the ball across the line from within the congested area.

Mike Symons grabbed Hereford's second
Pablo Haysham and Mustapha Bundu congratulate Symons
3 minutes later Hereford further increased their lead as Mustapha Bundu grabbed his second of the game. Bundu once again beat several men on his goalward run, but despite Mills offering support, he fired home from the edge of the 18-yard box, much to the delight of the travelling fans.

Bundu buries the ball in the back of the net

As a quieter period ensued, Hartley managed to break forward on the counter. As Sam Argent tried to cut into the box from the left wing, the referee adjudged a challenge on him to be worthy of a penalty, pointing unhesitatingly to the spot. As Ross Cook stepped up to take the spot kick, he duly converted, finding the bottom right-hand corner of Martin Horsell's net.

In the 74th minute both teams were down to 10-men following a tangle between Ross Cook and Ryan Green. With the pair involved in a number of altercations throughout the afternoon, Green's reaction earned him a straight red, as Cook picked up his second yellow.

With the game all but over, in the 5th minute of stoppage time, substitute Joe Tumelty was unlucky not to grab Hereford's 4th. After bursting through the centre, there was just the keeper left to beat, but Atkinson did well, managing to palm the ball wide for a late corner.
The resulting corner was taken short by Tumelty to Mike Symons as they tried to run the clock down, but after Tumelty saw an opportunity to break into the box, he struck the ball low past the keeper to seal Hereford’s place in the quarter-finals of the FA Vase.

Tumelty's second attempt found the back of the net
And Hereford are through to the quarter finals

FT: Hartley Wintney 1 - Hereford 4
Att: 1120

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Edwards, Bonella (Willets – 75’), Green, Summers, Bundu (Pilling – 79’), Birch, Mills, Haysham (Tumelty – 86’), Symons. 
Subs not used: Grant, Staley.

Read the full report here (link).