Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Friday, May 20, 2016

45 Year Old Swailes To Face Hereford


45 year old Chris Swailes is expected to be in the Morpeth squad that plays Hereford at Wembley on Sunday.

He could be the oldest player ever to have taken part in a final at the National Stadium.

And in another twist, Swailes made his football league debut playing for Doncaster against Hereford back in 1993.

That game took place at Edgar Street and the Bulls won 2-1.

'When I started out, I never would have thought I'd be anywhere near setting a Wembley record – I wouldn't have thought I could survive 30 pre-seasons for a start.

'I still remember playing at Edgar Street in my first professional match. It's gone full circle, from 23 years ago to now. It doesn't feel like a lifetime ago though.

'My experience will help, but although I'm older than the manager and all the players, I don't feel any different than I did at the start of my career. I'm a big kid at heart and I don't feel 45.

'I just hope that I'm on the winning side at the end of the match and don't make a fool of myself.'