Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Willets Pleased To Score His First Goal For Hereford

Jamie Willets Just After Scoring His Goal

Defender Jamie Willets scored his first goal for Hereford FC at Rocester yesterday.

Afterwards he spoke jointly to BBC Hereford and Worcester and Bulls News.

"It is my first goal, it's been a long time coming!" said Willets.

"I've had a few opportunities especially when we played Boldmere at home and again last Saturday against Quorn.

"It's really good to get on the scoresheet.

"But the main thing is that we've got through to the second round of the Vase. And a clean sheet.

"The lads have been giving me a bit of stick whether my goal came off my head or my back or my shoulder or my neck. But they all count.

"We've scored two, they've scored none, through to the next round, that's all I care about."

Rocester were tough to break down first half?

"They came out all guns blazing as it was a massive game for them. Financially it's a lot for their club as well. They were all geared up for it.

"They did cause us a lot of problem first half and should have had a goal as there were one or two slip-ups in the back four. They managed to break through one or two times.

"We were quite fortunate that we went in 0-0 at halftime because we didn't come out of the traps at times.

"Second half we got our act together, calmed down a bit, played better football and were the better team on the day."

It didn't look as though the pitch had been cut recently.

"Whether they did that on purpose or not I'm not sure. You've got to play on what's in front of you.  We've got to accept that the pitches are not going to be great.

"Some pitches are going to be a lot worse than this. A few months time there isn't going to be any grass at all and it's something we've got to get used to.

"It's alright playing at home, playing on a really good surface for 21 games but the other 21 when we go away we've got to adapt to the pitch.

"We can't have any excuses, we can't say at the end of the game it's a c**p pitch."

How important is the FA Vase to you as a player?

"Massive, I think this is as far as I've got. I don't think I've got past the first round before!

"The chance to play at Wembley would be absolutely fantastic. But it's going to be a long journey, seven more games to the final.

"It's a players dream."