Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Home Against Farsley Celtic On Saturday March 23rd Kick-Off 3.00pm

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Volunteers Start To 'Tidy' Edgar Street


A group of volunteers have spent part of the day at Edgar Street.

Matt Quinn was one of them and he told BN how it had gone.

It seems strange that a year, to the day, we secured our conference status and I would spend the day at Edgar Street as part of the volunteer group to tidy the old girl up. Since that day at Aldershot I have felt sad, angry, frustrated and delighted. But today was different. Today I was going to give a few hours of my time to help Hereford FC. 

I had already ensured I had a note with my name, next of kin and Dr's details on as instructed to bring. It seemed a strange request but actually it showed professionalism on Kens part. I packed a mug (for a coffee), my shovel, a broom, some gloves, a dustpan and brush, a bucket and some large plastic bags. 

I arrived at about 9:20 and there were already people sweeping and shoveling the car park out side Radfords. I signed in and started cleaning the area from Blackfriers Street down to the Meadow End. There was a group of 13 of us which, if I'm honest, I was slightly disappointed at. (but I know we all have busy lives)

In just a few hours we had picked up about 10 black bags of rubbish and it was time for a coffee break. I need to mention at this point that the Coffee, Tea, Sugar and Biscuits were donated by TESCO's so a massive thank you to them. As I stood looking over the pitch it felt good to be back at Edgar Street. 

As to not waste time are attentions turned to behind the Meadow End. What a mess!!! but after a few hours of hard graft and about 20 black bags later it looked better. Its not until you start, you actually get to see the poor state of the ground and how much work there is to do in so many areas. But with hard work and a few more pairs of hands I am sure it will not take to many days like today before it is all sorted.

I gave something today that didn't cost money but it was just as important to the club. It was just 5 hours of my time. If just 50 people could spend a few hours of their time it would make a huge difference in ensuring Edgar Street is clean and tidy ready for football to return.

A small group today made a start and it was great to see the difference. Until the next time.....