Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Few Words From SG


This from HUST:

These are Steve Guinan’s full programme notes from today’s charity match at Westfields. Due to space issues they had to be truncated:

Firstly I would like to welcome everyone to today’s game – fans, friends, volunteers, supporters and charity fundraisers who have all given up their time to help me raise funds for my chosen London Marathon charity, Children with Cancer.
I would like to explain a little surrounding the background to how this charity football match came to fruition. Throughout my football career, I always fancied running a marathon, not just any old one but in my opinion THE marathon and our country’s finest which is of course, the London Marathon. But as circumstances dictate, a footballer is never going to be able to do this due to playing on a Saturday and not being given the go ahead by the Manager. In my latter playing years, I wouldn’t have had the energy to do it after a game on the Saturday anyway! So now retired, I set myself a deadline of running it before my 40th birthday which is in December 2015, so this year is my last opportunity to complete an item that is on my bucket list. I made my enquiries about entering the race and had a conversation with a member of Children with Cancer charity team who suggested the idea of running for them so I agreed and set about fundraising.
I was then contacted by some very kind people connected to the now defunct Hereford United about the possibility of a Steve Guinan XI v Hereford Supporters Team to help raise as much money as possible for the charity. Many conversations and discussions later, here we are today.
The phenomenal success of today’s game is a reflection of the ever-increasing dedication and enthusiasm that supporters, volunteers and friends of the newly formed Hereford FC display on a continual basis. I have no doubt that Jon Hale and Martin Watson are the right people to lead Hereford FC from the ashes of Hereford United and back to the glory days as a force within the Football League, which is where the club should be.
I would also personally like to thank Chris Oleksy who has been a driving force behind the scenes in the organisation of this game, I couldn’t have done it without
you Ox!
To Westfields FC, sincere heartfelt thanks for allowing us to use your fantastic facilities and I really appreciate your generosity.
To all the ex-players and supporters team, thanks for blowing the dust off your boots and your individual contribution to today’s game.
I would like to take this opportunity to say a heartfelt “Thank You” to everyone for coming today. The people of Hereford have always made me feel special and again, I have been blown away by the support and assistance you have offered.
Lastly, enjoy the game and I’ll see you in the bar after for a few beers and for a very special auction with some fantastic items.
Best Wishes,
Steve G