Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Kings Lynn At Edgar Street On Saturday 21 September at 3.00pm

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Football Diptych


Bulls fan Justin Griffiths-Williams has written on his own blog:

I am a huge Hereford United fan. I started watching them with my dad in the seventies and have supported them ever since. Though I haven’t lived in the city for twenty-five years, my life has been punctuated by frequent visits to my home town to watch my team. When I can’t get to matches, I’m glued to the radio or internet, waiting anxiously for updates of the game. I remember receiving an email from my best mate with the scarcely believable, “Dagenham 0 Hereford United 9 (yes nine!) “. I was in Haiti covering the ousting of the president and it was a welcome distraction.
Hereford United has none of the glitz and glamour of the Premier League (though we have had our moments), and the level of football is modest at best. But in a fairly unpredictable existence as a freelance photojournalist, supporting my team has been a point of reference; a source of continuity in my life. It has provided an opportunity to spend valuable time with my father, and to see old friends, some of whom I only ever see within the confines of a football stadium.
Following football at this level has an ethos all of its own. It’s about friendship, loyalty, standing together in adversity. It’s about history, and a modest pride in one’s community, albeit with a recognition of the communality of the experience. The “football family” might be a well-used metaphor, but it doesn’t make it any less true.