Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pitman answers Questions on BBC H&W

Jamie Pitman was a guest on BBC Hereford and Worcester's sports programme this evening. The Hereford United manager answered various questions put to him by listeners and by presenter Terry Goodwin.

Many of the questions were about the poor home form and especially last Saturday's game when Barnet ran out 3-1 winners.

But there were others which brought out some interesting comments from Pitman. One in particular was about management skills.

"As a manager you become a member of the LMA and you have a very good network of people around you who put on conferences. I went to one recently where Sir Alex Ferguson spoke.

"I'm no finished article. You've got to learn every day. I have a number of people in the game that I talk to.

"You mustn't be afraid to pick up the phone and listen to people."

Pitman spoke about Dan Connor and Ryan Valentine who are recovering from long term injuries.

"Both of them have had a similar operation and it's been very tough for them.

"They've worked very hard to get themselves where they are at the moment. Their rehabilitation has gone very well. We might see them before the end of the season.

"Dan has got another year with us so there is no massive rush. We need to make sure he is ready for next year. And we want to see Ryan get back as soon as possible as well."

Pitman was asked which he enjoyed the best - player, physio or manager.

"Playing is always the best. I enjoyed it very much as a player. I've got great affinity for the club. I've been there a long time and I do really care about it.

"The two jobs since has been the ones with the most pressure. However pressure is brought on by myself because I do want to do so well.

"The enjoyable part is being out there working with the players. If you don't enjoy it you are in it for the wrong reasons."

Pitman was asked what he felt were the differences since the new regime took over from Graham Turner.

"I think what they have tried to do is bring the community in and I think they have done that well. Credit to them for doing that. That was the arguement everybody wanted.

"For somebody to come in after such a long period is very difficult to get those changes over.

"It's been a tough season for them. Credit to them because they've really put their faith in us as a group and hopefully we can give something back to them because they've both worked very hard for it."

Finally, the last question came from former player Gareth Davies.

"I'm from Kington and I just wanted to ask why we haven't got enough players like yourself and perhaps some of the old school players that have played in the past!"

It was made clear that it was BBC H&W summariser Gareth Davies with a wind-up to finish the interview. He was then asked if he (Davies) fancied a game.

"Not with him as manager!"

Pitman: "You know Gareth, it's a different world now, it's a different kettle of fish.

"Me and you were the old school, we wouldn't probably stay on the pitch long enough any more."

Davies: "I can't believe you even used my name. I was going to be Roy from Kington, I had a wife called Amy and she's listening and she's got a nightie with Pitman on the back."

Pitman: "From where you're coming from you can probably have two wifes."

For anyone who missed the programme it should be available from later this evening for the next week. Go to BBC H&W and click listen again.