Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Friday, September 24, 2010

Southend Expect New Arrival

Southend are reported to be on the verge of signing a new striker ahead of their trip to Edgar Street tomorrow.

The Echo paper says a youngster from a Championship side is expected to sign on a months loan later today to bolster their much criticised forward line. Fans have laid into their hastily assembled strike force with manager's son Blair Sturrock and top scorer Barry Corr getting the worst of the flak.

Corr admits his performance against Morecambe last week was not good enough despite scoring, telling the paper: "I set myself standards and I didn’t reach them last week. I didn’t hold the ball up as well as I should’ve done or win enough headers either. I was pretty bad and I know that. The manager does too and I won’t let myself have another performance like that.

"Scoring a goal covered up a bad performance from me and it’s been in my head ever since. I’m desperate to get out there again and I feel like running to Hereford right now to play because I want to put things right."

The Shrimpers will still be without captain Craig Easton due to a calf injury, with Swindon loanee Michael Timlin expected to continue.

UPDATE: Southend have signed Cardiff teenager Nathaniel Jarvis on a months loan. He played alongside ex-Bull John Grant in their reserve loss to Stevenage earlier in the week. Jarvis was top scorer for the Bluebirds' Academy side last term.