Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Home Against Farsley Celtic On Saturday March 23rd Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Radford and George changed my life - Motson

Sheepskin coated John Motson will end his international career with the Euro 2008 final tomorrow. Although the BBC commentator will still be heard on Match of the Day, the game between Spain and Germany will be the last 'big' game he will cover.

"It will be the end of my international career," he told the Times.

"Eighteen major championships, nine World Cups, nine Europeans, the final itself in six World Cups and nine Europeans if I’m still standing on Sunday," he said. "My first European championship was in 1976 in Belgrade when there was only four teams in the finals."

And that first championship came four years after he made his mark as a young commentator at Edgar Street when Hereford United defeated Newcastle United in that world famous FA Cup replay. The astonishing result turned what had been a “sweeping-up job” into the main event on Match of the Day that evening.

"Those goals by Ronnie Radford and Ricky George changed my life," he said. "I was only on a year’s probation. I could have been sent back to my old job.

"Anyone could see it was a huge story when Hereford won 2-1, but it was still incredible to hear my commentary at the top of the show. Sam Leitch must have thought I did all right because I got a contract soon after that."

In the Independent Motson recalled how he first got hold of a sheepskin coat.

"I was at a party at Chelsea and the hostess, who was a furrier, said she wanted to take me to the garage. I was still quite young then, and I wasn't quite sure what was in store. In the garage I saw a lot of coats laid down on the floor. She suggested that I try one on. That was the start of it. Later a man from Hornchurch made me four coats and then disappeared. Now I go to Savile Row. I reckon I'll get one more sheepskin before I finish."