Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Away At Bishop Stortford In The FA Cup On Saturday 28 September at 3.00pm

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tyler remembers Hereford

Martin Tyler, the Sky Sports commentator, answers questions on the Sky Sports Site.

Recently he was asked what was the first FA Cup tie he had commentated on.

Tyler replied: What a really good question! After a fair bit of head-scratching, I have indeed come up with the answer - The first FA Cup game I ever commentated on was the Third Round tie between West Ham and Hereford. But, it was not for television, it was for hospital radio. A friend of the family was responsible for the radio and they were a man down on that day, January 5th, 1974, so he knew I was interested in commentating and gave me the chance. I am not sure how well it went down with the ill and infirm, but I do know Pat Holland scored for the Hammers and Eric Redrobe equalised for the Welsh side, who went on to win the replay. I also know that I would cringe if I heard the commentary nowadays!