Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, January 27, 2007

I'm Proud again to be a Bull

Simon Wright watched this afternoon's game without Glynis. Proper Hereford Football!

That's Entertainment by Simon Wright

Notts County was a game too far for Er Indoors. She'd endured Bristol Rovers and Mansfield lately and just couldn't take any more so soon. This wasn't the United side she'd enjoyed for several seasons - a black and white entertainment machine who always attacked and virtually always scored. The contrast was sharp with another side just two miles from our door who prior to Saturday were the country's joint top scorers. I felt the contrast too - its not one of higher class or snobbery, not even that of winning - just simply a matter of enjoyment and for me Hereford had lost their way. I didn't try to persuade as truth be told I didn't much want to go either. I've seen most things in football over the last 40 years or so and most of them wash over me but don't repeat don't bore me.

I'd go along to the match against the country's oldest football League club I decided purely out of duty, a little payback if you like for Tucka's efforts at the Club Open Day to make us semi-outsiders feel part of the furniture. The PR payback from such an event cannot be calculated but I digress. I had no great enthusiasm to travel through the county's verdant countryside (even less enthusiasm to visit the Custard Bowl of Wolverhampton the day after but I'm digressing again) until.. I read Bulls News. Ben Smith back at the club in exchange for actual money? Real genuine, hard cash. Wow ... and Stevie Guinan too. I couldn't help myself - I broke into a one man chorus of "Da da da da Stevie Guinan" right in the middle of a huge open plan Birmingham city centre civil service office.

Fortunately my obviously ill-founded reputation as an eccentric came to my rescue. Pairs of eyes looked up from dozens of PC's all around me but didn't dally long as "its only Simon." I could almost hear them muttering those very words. "Guinan - isn't she in Star Trek?" asked one close colleague, trying to understand. " Er no.." But I had a reason to attend Edgar Street now, a positive surge of energy... which was fortunate because my chest infection was becoming more of a nuisance and I needed an incentive.

Now after a decade and a half of selling fanzines, I've got a pretty good idea what I can cope with and what I can't. A chest infection would lead to fits of unpleasant dry coughing and so I gave my apologies to Pete Povall for fanzine selling duties. He seemed unperturbed ... as usual. He's such a laidback character is our Peter. Tell him to hold onto this rope to stop the Meadow End roof blowing off and he'll get on it without the need to change his trousers. (Dagenham - back in the Conference days - remember?) So regular passers-by in the Merton Meadow car park were spared the prospect of me shouting at them for three parts of an hour. Pete and the famous Nick from B Block seemed to manage fine in my absence anyway - maybe they are too discreet to mention that at Edgar Street its not how loud you shout, its how many people you know that impacts on Talking Bull sales.

Those of you who bought their copy today will have noted that a new editor is required for next season. Peter understandably wants to move on to other things. The fundamentals are in place - a reliable cheap printer, a solid sales base, a decent photographer and a sturdy bunch of contributors - all so handy but any prospective editor should bear in mind that its easy to do a shoddy job but its really hard work to do a proper job. Peter, half-jokingly I'm sure, asked if I was interested. I believe I could do the job but a part-time supporter living 50 miles away cannot give a club fanzine the kind of intuitive bedrock understanding the job requires. It wouldn't be fair to anyone. Oh dear digression again.

I really just wanted to say what a splendid difference the new blood has made to the team. I'm sure Bulls News will have their finger on the match pulse as usual but think back to those 90 minutes. So many clever flicks, the reverse sweeps, the awareness of blind side running. Shooting with confidence. The crunching tackles of a proper midfielder. And all these improvements from men not properly match fit or even fully acquainted with their team mates. And best of all three goals. In one match. In the opponents net. That's entertainment!

I'm now reinvigorated, excited, looking ahead to more opportunities to catch up with the Bulls. Its good for everybody. Ben Smith must be pleased to be back at a stable, well run club. Weymouth have been a financial basket case for several years as former Chairman Ian Ridley describes in his book. And they play in nauseating claret and blue. Meanwhile Guinan is back at the only club where he's been a regular goalscorer... and already in 90 minutes he has scored as many as Sills in half a season. "Waylon" Jennings will appreciate the chance to look like a footballer again - my, he's a class act at our level. Proper Hereford football and now I'm Proud again to be a Bull