Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, January 27, 2007

I'm delighted to be back says Smith

Ben Smith made an excellent return to Edgar Street this afternoon with a competent performance for the Bulls.

He told BBC Hereford and Worcester that he was delighted to be back.

"I was having a good time at Weymouth but with no stability there I had to think about my career.

"Five league teams offered me contracts but I wanted to come back somewhere I had enjoyed playing and Hereford was the only place I enjoyed as much as Weymouth. So that's what swayed it.

"I feel I'm good enough to play at this standard so this gives me an opportunity to prove it."

It was the first time Smith had played since New Years Day as he was suspended last week.



Ben Smith celebrating Trent McClenahan's first goal - picture by Andy Compton of the Hereford Journal

"I was quite happy with the way I played. It was nice to start on a winning note.

"I enjoyed playing with Steve (Guinan). He seems to know where I am and I know where he is.



A very happy Steve Guinan - another Andy Compton picture

Reminded by Keith Hall that he had signed a two and a half year contract Smith continued:

"It gives me a bit of security. I think it hurt Graham (Turner) to give me that. But I was in a good position as I had a few other offers. I actually turned down a three and a half year contract somewhere else so I think that showed how much I wanted to come here.

"Graham pushed the boat out for me but I had to make a few compromises myself. I think that shows how much he wanted me here and how much I wanted to be here."

Finally Smith was asked about his shoulder.

"I had it pinned at Hereford and again up the A49. It now two and a half years and it's been fine since then."