Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - Melksham Town Away on Saturday 7th July

Monday, October 31, 2005

The last time was November 1993

The last time Hereford United met Cambridge City was in the FA Cup in November 1993.

Below is a reminder of that meeting from a Cambridge perspective written by Ian Pettengell reproduced by kind permission of Cambridge City Football Club.

So the build up to the big game began. Preparations got underway for the visit of Hereford, without doubt City's biggest game for many years. The game would stay at Milton Road and be played on the Sunday as Cambridge United were also at home in the competition that weekend and played the day before so any move to play at the Abbey Stadium was out of the question. The capacity was set at 2,500 and tickets went on sale at the next home game against Gloucester before going on general sale. Days before the big game it was announced that it was a sell-out, well, in the home sections anyway as Hereford had returned nearly half of their tickets.

Sunday the 14th November duly arrived and City were all set to step out into the spotlight. Hereford's supporters were allocated the Chesterton School end of the ground. Milton Road looked a picture, packed to the rafters, the fans buzzing as the game kicked off.

The conditions were difficult on the day, a strong buffeting wind and heavy overnight rain had contributed to a tricky pitch which survived a late inspection.

It was a game of few chances on the heavy surface. Hereford perhaps had the edge in terms of possession although City certainly gave as good as they got. Shortly before the break, City appealed in vain for a penalty. Most of the capacity crowd howled for a spot kick as Hereford midfielder Reece appeared to handle. Referee Paul Alcock disagreed and waived play on. Ten minutes into the second half Paul Coe had perhaps City's best chance, roared on by the crowd, the fleet-footed winger left Hereford player-manager Greg Downs for dead, got round keeper Alan Judge, but could only put his effort into the side netting from an acute angle. City skipper Steve Gawthrop also got forward to hook a decent chance wide.

As the game edged nearer to full-time thoughts turned to a trip to Edgar Street, a ground synonymous with the glory of the F.A. Cup, Ronny Radford and all that, but, in the 85th minute disaster struck. Substitute Max Nicholson performed miracles out on the right wing, beating two City defenders, before crossing for Chris Pike to power a header past Kevin Murray, the dream was over. It was rough justice for City who deserved a replay, but it was not to be. The gallant FA Cup run of 1993/4 had come to an end, but left us all with so many glowing memories.