ad banner

Lastmatch

Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Away At Bedford On Saturday September 26th At 3.00pm

Top stories

TOP STORIES:
Loading headlines...

Breaking

Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Immense Pride Said Stafford Manager

 

Stafford Rangers manager Graham Deakin spoke about his 'immense pride' after putting Hereford out of the FA Cup yesterday.

"As the manager of this football club and what I've just witnessed from this group of players that we've put together over the summer just immense pride to turn over the best team at step two after going a goal behind to turn them over 3-2," he said.

Keeper Leon Phillips had been recalled to the squad and was probably Stafford's man of the match.

"It was really difficult for him to come into the squad when he was not starting originally.

"That kid has shown some mental strength today to come in and perform how he's performed.

"We could have been further ahead but at the time he made them saves that were really important. What he's done I'm so proud of him."

Hereford scored first.

"I thought we were playing well.

"I thought they had that little bit of quality when Waldron scored their goal but I just felt if we weathered the storm for a little bit for the next five minutes after we conceded and we didn't concede two and we stayed in the game I always felt we would have a chance.

"I don't know what they were expecting. I spoke to their manager before the game and he said he had watched us against Kidsgrove (last Tuesday).

"But we tweaked the formation a little bit, I don't know if they were expecting us to do it." 

3004 watched the game, Stafford's biggest crowd since 1990.